School of One at the LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland
The School of One (SO1) at the LGBT Center will the first of its kind in the nation where a public school has a site specifically focused on LGBTQ+ youth located within a LGBT Center!! Our collective vision is to create a safe and affirming space where access to education is inclusive and equitable. The School of One at The Center is intentional about our ongoing efforts to promote equity, respect for diversity, and inclusive practices for our youth.
Why is this important??
LGBTQ+ youth face issues much different and more pronounced than their heterosexual, cisgender peers. Our youth are forced to navigate an often non-affirming landscape where culturally competent resources and support are largely unavailable. Thus, they are widely marginalized. This impacts their ability to thrive.
- SO1 Mission: To develop solutions to challenges and drive innovation in a supportive, inclusive, and diverse environment for the youth of the diverse LGBTQ+ community
- SO1 Vision: To promote equitable outcomes for marginalized populations while strengthening the community. Centered in the belief that diversity is not a problem but the basis of prosperity, it changes attitudes, mindsets, and how we perceive the world around us.
The School of One: Solutions for Global Issues at The LGBT Center will analyze issues and how they impact their communities utilizing Facing History and Ourselves curriculum. For the initial year, we envision opening with approximately 8-10 students on a rolling enrollment basis.
- School Start Date: September 8th. Seating is limited. Applications are still being accepted at https://www.clevelandmetroschools.org/so1
Format: First 9 weeks will be virtual only – November onwards. TBD by Eric Gordon
In-person: When in-person classes resume, they will be held in the Red Room.
- Day/Time: M-F 9am-2:30pm
- Center Programming: Qyou will be integrated into parts of the curriculum as class credit where appropriate in discussion with the teacher. Additionally, youth will already be at the Center and can transition right into QYou programming after they complete their school day.
- You can follow School of One Cleveland at The School of One Cleveland on Facebook or by visiting https://www.clevelandmetroschools.org/so1.