MEETS EVERY MONDAY & WEDNESDAY
- 4PM - 5PM - Drop-In and Check-In
- 5PM - 7PM - Education & Support
Trans* Wellness is a core program of the LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland that affords an opportunity for transgender and non-binary individuals to discuss different aspects of our journeys, share resources, celebrate success, and support each other as we overcome challenges in a group setting!
Trans* Wellness Yearly Registration Form
If you are joining us for Trans* Wellness for the first time this calendar year, please complete the following form. The form is not a requirement for participation, and you are welcome to come to the Center to join Trans* Wellness anytime.
The information you provide here will remain confidential! Only Trans* Wellness staff will ever see it. We look forward to meeting you, and we are so glad you have decided to join us!
Mondays September - October 2022
Trans* Wellness ClevelandFlow at the Center
ClevelandFlow at the Center will continue our commitment to promoting health and wellness in our community by offering members of our core programs the opportunity to engage in several weeks of fitness exercises. The following classes will be offered to our Trans* Wellness program.
- DANCE EXERCISE: Low impact dance exercise. Similar to Zumba with a focus on jazz dance technique. Yoga mat required. Dance shoes are best (ballet, jazz) socks or bare feet.
- STEP & STRENGTH: Aerobic step class that builds cardio and strength. Sneaker and yoga mat required.
- Orange & Yellow Room
- 8 Classes total
- Mondays September 12 - October 31 | 4PM - 5PM
Public Opinion Leaders
This program is designed to spread more information and awareness on the subject of HIV & AIDS and the prevention and treatment of them. These individuals take part in a 10 week training that equips them with all of the skills, knowledge, and information they will need when going out into the community to talk to their peers. Some of their responsibilities are below:
- Conduct at least 20 outreach visits per month to local bars, community centers, businesses, and entertainment venues
- Give at least 50 PrEP referrals per month
- Have at least 50 conversations per month with individuals about PrEP, getting tested, and knowing their status
- Distribute at least 500 items of promotional materials per month (condoms, lube, chap sticks, pill containers, etc.)
- Keep track of these in an organized log to be turned in at the end of each month
- Meet with direct supervisor once per week
For more information contact Devinity Jones at [email protected] or 216.273.6619
July 21, 2022
The Buckeye Flame | Cleveland March for Trans Justice
The March for Trans Justice appears to be the first coordinated demonstration in the state demanding justice for transgender people, including access to gender affirming healthcare.
In downtown Cleveland, protestors led by TransOhio organizers gathered near the Free Stamp at Willard Park.
July 21, 2022
The Cleveland Observer | Tamika “Divinity” Jones: Groundbreaker in Trans* Wellness
“I would come to the Center, and they never had anything for trans* people,” Tamika “Devinity” Jones, HIV Prevention and Trans* Wellness Program Coordinator, said of the beginning of her involvement with the LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland. Jones served as a volunteer for two years and then became a Public Opinion Leader.
“I always thought about having my own trans wellness business,” Jones said. When she was offered her current position, it was initially unpaid. “I told Phyllis [Seven Harris, executive director] I didn’t care about the money,” she said. Jones created the program, which offers transgender and non-binary individuals education, support, and fellowship in a group setting.
May 18, 2022
Three Arches Feature Grant Story
"Today, the LGBT Center has a dedicated Transwellness program tailored to address the deep and unique need for accessible and culturally competent health care and wellness support services for transgender and non-binary individuals. At its helm is Jones – the inspiration behind its creation stemming from her own lived experience – hired as a program coordinator. Considering the mix of different backgrounds and situations, the program affords an opportunity for transgender and non-binary individuals to discuss various aspects of their journey, share resources, celebrate successes, and support each other to overcome challenges." Read the full story here!
March 31, 2022
Margie's Hope ~ Trans Day of Visibility Awards
March 31 is recognized as International Trans Day of Visibility and to celebrate this year, our friends at Margie's Hope presented awards honoring individuals who have made significant contributions to advocacy, education, and the overall advancement of the trans community here in Northeast Ohio. We are proud to recognize members of our Center family and all our neighbors who were presented the following awards:
- Trans Community Service Award: Tamika 'Devinity' Jones
- Living Heritage Award: Terri Williams & Khris U. Goins
- Trans Ally Award: Carol Rodriguez
- Trans Activist Award: Rhea Debussy
- Trans Generation Award: Zyaire Gale
- Trans Educator Award: Dr. Lady J. Martinez
- Trans Entertainer Award: Joliee Blak
- Daisy Award: Ayron "Ace" Evans
TransYou: In partnership with Colors+ Youth Center, TransYou is a for trans/gender divers/gender expansive youth. This casual community discussion group is for youth ages 11-20 with a main focus on providing a safe space for affirmative friendships and supportive community to grow.
The group meets every Tuesday from 4PM to 5PM. To register for this virtual group email [email protected]